For the first 12 years, our founders produced their bedsprings alongside farm equipment at the C.D. Platt Plow Works plant, founded in 1873 by C.B. Platt’s father.
Finally, in 1890, the first Leggett & Platt bedspring factory opened at the corner of Second and Maple Streets in Carthage. Although the first and fourth individuals in this photo (pictured left to right) are unidentified, the rest include Kansas farmer Sam Smith, George D. Leggett, Carthage plumber Karl Speece, J.P. Leggett, and C.B. Platt.