Whether you’re 55 or 25, saving for your retirement should be on your mind. As our Qualified Benefits Manager, Cathy Johns advocates for retirement readiness at L&P. Here are her Top 5 Tips toward retiring comfortably.
1. Start somewhere. It’s funny how the most critical tip is also the simplest. If you’re not yet saving for retirement, just start somewhere. Nobody else is saving for you! Even a minimal effort to start is better than nothing.
2. Maximize your match. Many companies offer contribution matching programs, so contribute at a level that allows you to receive the most match you can. Don’t walk away from free money!
3. Choose your investments. While lots of programs have default investment options, you don’t always have to go with them. Evaluate your risk tolerance and choose which investment options are right for you.
4. Name your beneficiaries. This isn’t too difficult to do, but it’s very important. Naming your beneficiaries can also bring you (and your loved ones) peace of mind.
5. Continually monitor and budget. Saving for retirement probably shouldn’t be a “set it and forget it” event. We recommend periodically examining your situation and altering your budget for the ups and downs life brings. Then, you can fine-tune and adjust the amount you’re saving as you go.